Article

Brecon Cathedral

Brecon Cathedral

Brecon Cathedral

Brecon Cathedral (Cathedral Close, Brecon, Powys) — Brecon Cathedral started life in 1093 as the Benedictine Priory of St John the Evangelist, built by the Normans on the site of an earlier Celtic church. At the dissolution of the monasteries in 1538, it became Brecon’s Parish Church. It became a Cathedral only in 1923, on the establishment of the Diocese of Swansea and Brecon. The Cathedral is at the heart of a Diocese which stretches from Beguildy in the North to the beautiful Gower Peninsula in the South, including most of the Brecon Beacons National Park and the City of Swansea.